Removing or Sweetening of Mercaptan Compounds in Hydrocarbon Streams
MERICAT™ | Caustic Sweetening of Mercaptans
First licensed in 1977, MERICAT™ technology from Merichem® has been successfully used in gasoline/naphtha, condensate and crude oil streams for the sweetening of mercaptan compounds. With our proprietary FIBER FILM® Contactor as the mass transfer device, MERICAT™ uses caustic/catalyst/air as treating reagents.
- Reduces mercaptan content, using a strong caustic to meet mercaptan specifications and pass Doctor tests
- Allows customers to meet pipeline specification requirements for NGL, Y-grade fuels, pentane or condensate
- Simple and proven technology for sweetening light mercaptans in a hydrocarbon stream; a single vessel can achieve the RSH sweetening—no need for additional settling vessels
- Removes odorous RSH with minimal processing to meet total sulfur specifications
FFC Plus™ Technology
The latest iteration of Merichem’s FIBER FILM® Contactor technology, FFC Plus™ can increase hydrocarbon treating rates by up to 150 percent as compared to earlier designs.
- Light Crude Oils
- Naphtha Treating (Gasoline, Alkylate, Raffinate, Straight-Run)
- Gas Production Field
- Oil Production Field
- Crude Distillation Unit
How It Works
Thanks to the dramatic increase in liquid surface area achieved by Merichem’s FIBER FILM® Contactor, MERICAT™ achieves maximum efficiency of conversion—with little to no emulsification, carryover or high‑pressure drop during phase transfer.
For nearly 75 years, Merichem® has provided innovative solutions to the oil and gas industry, establishing a reputation of expertise in caustic treatment technology and service solutions. Equally uncommon is our dedication to our customers and solving their problems.
Support, A to Z
The depth of Merichem’s expertise is reinforced by the breadth of its capabilities, which include solution design, engineering, fabrication, research and development, testing and service.
Proven Flexibility, Global Reach
Merichem® has helped customers over the world solve their treatment challenges with proven, industry‑changing technology.
We have licensed more than 150 MERICAT™ units worldwide