Innovating Mass Transfer, Supercharging Efficiencies
FIBER FILM® Contactor | Mass Transfer Technology
Conventional dispersion and phase separation methods come with a host of problems—lack of turndown capability, plugging, flooding, channeling, long settling times, aqueous phase carryover, plot space requirements, product contamination and unpredictability.
Merichem’s patented FIBER FILM® Contactor eliminates these problems. Its unique design creates a significantly larger interfacial surface area, using minimum mixing energy, allowing for enhanced microscopic diffusion and a continuous renewal of the aqueous phase. Efficiency of mass transfer is improved by an order of magnitude, reducing operating costs.
FIBER FILM® Advantages
- High-efficiency mass transfer with minimal caustic carryover (uses gentle mixing)
- Low-pressure-drop across unit
- Co-current downflow treatment allows operation over a wide range of feed rates, improving operational value
- Very high turndown—down to 15% for light hydrocarbon streams
- Use of smaller vessels allows for compact footprint, reducing space and CAPEX requirements
- Can be readily retrofitted or revamped to existing vessels, reducing CAPEX
- Can use any non-miscible reagent / solvent for treating
- Non-dispersive, highly efficient contacting of hydrocarbon and aqueous solutions with optimal phase separation for better product purity
- Unmatched capability of meeting product quality specifications
- Simplicity of operation, minimizing manpower
- No requirements for downstream caustic carryover capture equipment, minimizing investment and maintenance costs
- Minimum consumption of treatment chemicals and utilities, lowering operating cost
- Flexibility for future capacity expansion with minimal investment
FFC Plus™ Technology
The latest iteration of Merichem’s FIBER FILM® Contactor technology, FFC Plus™ can increase hydrocarbon treating rates by up to 150 percent as compared to earlier designs.
Proven Flexibility, Global Reach
With extensive capabilities and a flexible array of supply-chain options, Merichem® has helped customers all over the world address some of their most challenging processing and treatment problems.
We have licensed more than 870 FIBER FILM® units worldwide
Solutions Powered by our FFC Technology
AMINEX™ – Use amine to extract H2S, CO2 or COS from gas and LPG streams.
AQUAFINING™ – Extracting soluble impurities from hydrocarbon streams with water.
ESTEREX™ – Removes neutral and acidic ester compounds from alkylation reactor product streams.
MERICAT™ – Removing or sweetening of mercaptan compounds in hydrocarbon streams.
MERICAT™ II / J – Sweetening mercaptans in Kerosene, Jet Fuel, Middle Distillates, and Diesel streams.
NAPFINING™ – Removes naphthenic acid compounds causing debilitating emulsions.
THIOLEX™ – Removes acid gas and mercaptan compounds from liquid and gas hydrocarbon streams.
FIBER FILM® Applications
Highly adaptable, FIBER FILM® Contactor technology is used in a wide range of caustic, amine, water and acid treatment processes. And our engineers are continually developing new applications to meet our clients’ extraction, oxidation and other treating needs.
- LPG Treatment
- Natural Gas Treatment
- Acid Gas Treatment
- Off-Gas Treatment
- Fuel Gas Treatment
- Crude Distillation Unit
- Catalytic Reformer
- FCCU or RCCU
- Coker, Visbreaker or Hydrocracker
- NGL Fractionation
- Gas Production Field
- Oil Production Field
- Oil Sands Heavy Oil Upgrader
- Naphtha Treatment
- Kerosene / Jet Fuel
- Middle Distillate Treatment
- Diesel Treatment
How It Works
With the FIBER FILM® Contactor mass-transfer mechanism, liquid surface area is significantly increased. This improves the efficiency of the process, allowing for higher flow rates with little to no emulsification, carryover or high‑pressure drop during phase transfer.
A History of Innovation
Since 1945, Merichem® has delivered innovation upon innovation to the oil and gas industry. Our proven solutions for hydrocarbon treatment and caustic management have provided innovative technology and equipment, continuously helping our customers achieve greater performance and profitability.
Depth and Breadth
Complementing our deep expertise is a breadth of capability that includes engineering, design, fabrication, analytics, testing and service support. Merichem® is here to help our customers meet their specifications, performance and warranty requirements.