Sweetening Mercaptans in Kerosene, Jet Fuel, Middle Distillate and Condensate
MERICAT™ II and MERICAT™ J | Caustic Sweetening of Mercaptans
MERICAT™ II and MERICAT™ J technologies are proven solutions for sweetening heavy mercaptans contained in kerosene, jet, middle-distillate and condensate.
When used with Merichem’s proprietary FIBER FILM® Contactor high-efficiency mass-transfer device, these technologies reduce the CAPEX and space requirements associated with conventional solutions.
MERICAT™ II Advantages
Used with a carbon bed, this technology is typically applicable to the treatment of kerosene, jet fuel and middle-distillate streams.
- Reduces mercaptan content
- Uses caustic to meet mercaptan specifications and pass Doctor tests
- Often paired with NAPFINING™ for removal of naphthenic acids as well as AQUAFINING™ to scrub sodium and surfactants; uses salt and clay treatment for final polishing
MERICAT™ J Advantages
Used without a carbon bed, this technology requires no carbon handling, purchase, cleaning, maintenance or disposal costs.
- No carbon fouling or deactivation resulting in off-spec product
- Extremely effective oxidation reactor for heavy or recombinant mercaptans
- Capable of removing naphthenic acids without affecting mercaptan oxidation performance
- Uses proprietary JeSOL®-9 solution, which provides full lifecycle responsibility by Merichem®
- Eliminates effluent disposal by offering ongoing supply and return of JeSOL®-9 solution
- Used with FIBER FILM® Contactor
- Lower cost at high mercaptan levels or high throughput
- Reduced color body formation
- Can often be retrofitted into legacy carbon beds to increase capacity and treatability
FFC Plus™ Technology
Merichem’s most advanced FIBER FILM® Contactor technology to date is used on every MERICAT™ J installation.
MERICAT™ II / MERICAT™ J Applications
- Kerosene / Jet Fuel
- Middle Distillate Treatment
- Crude Distillation Unit
- FCCU or RCCU
How It Works
Developed by Merichem®, our proprietary FIBER FILM® Contactor device features ultra-thin, aqueous-wetted fibers that increase the surface area, resulting in significantly greater efficiency of conversion or mass transfer—with little to no emulsification, carryover or high‑pressure drop.
Merichem® has developed proven technologies to the oil and gas industry for nearly three-quarters of a century. We have built a global reputation for expertise in caustic treatment technology and service solutions, delivered with dedicated and responsive service to our customers.
We are a full-service solution provider. Whether it’s licensing technology, guidance, design, engineering, fabrication, testing or implementation, Merichem® has the resources to fill in your blanks.
Proven Flexibility, Global Reach
All around the world, Merichem® has helped customers address some of their most challenging treatment problems with expertise and tenacity.
We have licensed more than 50 MERICAT™ II / MERICAT™ J units worldwide