Extracting RSH, H2S, CO2, and COS from Liquid and Gas Streams
THIOLEX™ | Caustic Extraction of Contaminants
First licensed in 1980, Merichem’s THIOLEX™ uses our proprietary FIBER FILM® Contactor as the mass transfer device, with caustic as the treating reagent in liquid and gas hydrocarbon streams.
THIOLEX™ technology effectively removes mercaptan compounds (RSH), hydrogen sulfide (H2S), carbon dioxide (CO2), carbonyl sulfide (COS), and elemental sulfur. THIOLEX™ COS, which uses MEA / caustic, is also extremely effective at hydrolyzing Carbonyl Sulfide (COS) to meet a client’s specifications.
Combined with the highly efficient FIBER FILM Contactor, THIOLEX™ technology dramatically reduces capital expenditures and space requirements compared to other extraction and treating alternatives.
- No prewash required (unless caustic make-up is prohibitive)
- Uses caustic solution to remove impurities
- Low caustic make-up when combined with REGEN® system
- Total sulfur reduction
- Achieves low total sulfur specification
- Extraction efficiency best between 60°F to 115° F
- Gives midstream customers more design and operational flexibility to remove H2S and RSH in NGL C3+ streams, increasing sales and profitability
- Excellent and proven technology for removal of sulfur impurities (RSH, H2S, COS); due to high-efficiency mass transfer, additional separation vessels not required
FFC Plus™ Technology
The latest iteration of Merichem’s FIBER FILM® Contactor technology, FFC Plus™ can increase hydrocarbon treating rates by up to 150 percent as compared to earlier designs.
- All LPG Streams (Propane, Propylene, Butane, Butylene)
- Acid / Sour Gas
- Fuel Gas
- Crude Distillation Unit
- FCCU or RCCU
- Coker, Visbreaker or Hydrocracker
- Gas Production Field
- Oil Production Field
- Oil Sands Heavy Oil Upgrader
How It Works
Because the FIBER FILM® Contactor creates an interfacial surface area orders of magnitude larger than conventional processes, THIOLEX™ extraction technology dramatically improves the efficiency of mass transfer, allowing impurities to easily diffuse between phases with little or no emulsification, carryover or high-pressure drop.
A Leader in Caustic Science
Serving the global oil and gas industry since 1945, Merichem® is the leader in sulfur removal technology, catalysts and service solutions. Our capabilities span from design and engineering to fabrication and testing.
Solving Tomorrow’s Problems Today
Merichem® combines an unsurpassed breadth and depth of experience with a highly focused commitment to our customers. We listen and solve problems, often with industry changing innovation.
Proven Flexibility, Global Reach
For nearly 40 years, Merichem® has licensed its technology solutions all over the world, addressing the industry’s biggest processing and treatment challenges with products and services.
We have licensed more than 250 THIOLEX™ units worldwide